Monday, October 22, 2012

Fact is truly, truly stranger than fiction.

Mrs Chandra (My principal in IIS when I was form 5) told me and Dee to write the story of the boy who ran away from home.

But I couldn't back then. Not really.

And now, I know why.

It's because Miel didn't get his happy ending yet. Not at the time.

And now, he has.

After running away, and going back to his abusive parents, his sister decided to run for it too (again). And, again, with the same circle of friends to help. I'm glad that it was one of us who allowed her to sleepover and sent her to the train station.

Then she went to the embassy. And then, history.

So, now, they're with their grandparents. And finally, after so long, they reunited with their real mother again, in their beloved country. And their stepmum and father were no longer to be seen.

And from sleeping on the cement floor with 30 lashes on their backs, and bite marks on their shoulders, they went to the luxurious life. How lucky.

And I, for one, am happy, glad and relieved that they got their happy ending. That luck was on their side.

They were good kids. They did nothing wrong. Even when they told the truth, they were abused.

And now. Life is sweet for them. And I know of no one more deserving.

I remember when he ran away from home. He called me. And he didn't even tell me. It was Father's Day.

Our classmate welcomed him with open arms. As did we. As did we planned and schemed and escaped, narrowly, I might add, from the clutches of the predators. I even called up an old friend to ask him to keep this stranger to him in his house.

Running from one place to the other, we were young. Foolish, we may have been. But the scar?

It's for life.

We had to grow up in our own ways. Even when we weren't ready. We were forced to face reality far harsher than others. And though we were in two different pains, two very different situations...we were able to lean on each other. For that, I am thankful.

Oh, Miel. Thank you for being a great friend. Thank you for being there with me through my pain. Thank you for still coming to see me before flying off, leaving me behind. I miss you. And I hope that you'll continue to be happy.

P/S, Thanks for the loose tee. And I'm sorry you didn't get to go to prom. You were supposed to be my date!

Friends forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment